Microsoft Word 2013 is text processing software integrated with the popular MS Office productivity package. As with the rest of the suite, it has experienced an interface redesign, cloud services integration, is capable of running smoothly on touch-enabled devices. What’s more, it has new features, such as the improved “Read Mode”. It aims to provide an “e-reader” experience by building a distraction-free environment, removing toolbars and accessories and using columns to arrange text; just as if you were reading a real book. Additionally, opening and editing PDFs is finally possible; surely a function that most users will appreciate, as it avoids the need to download third-party software.
“E-reader” experience by building a distraction-free environment, removing toolbars and accessories and using columns to arrange text
However, some criticism has arisen regarding the disappearance of the Office 2007 and Office 2010 chart styles from Microsoft Word 2013. Similarly, several keyboard shortcuts such as those for correction options are no longer available in this version. This means that now users will have to manually access those functions in the toolbar.
Getting to know the new features
The Microsoft Word 2013 start menu has been redesigned. Now, if you do not want to start with a blank page, you can select a predefined template from the wide variety available. Along with the warmly welcomed “Read Mode”, which resizes text to fill the window, one of the most outstanding features of Microsoft Word 2013 is the fact it is now able to open and edit PDFs; so changing to other software is no longer necessary. Moreover, if you are working on a small part of a large document, then you can use the collapse and expand function to visualize only the parts you need. The only condition these features require is having used headings’ built-in formatting styles. Regarding, content distribution, you can use “Alignment Guides or “Live Layout” tools.
With the “Present Online” tool, you will be enabled to share documents with other people, and view them wherever you are, even on devices without Microsoft Word 2013 installed. Simply upload the file to the cloud and copy the link. This link will grant access to the document whenever you want and wherever you are. When it comes to collaborative and co-authoring projects, it is sometimes true that making sense of posted comments can be an ordeal if they are not clearly organized. That is why the version offers a threaded style and a new reply button. Comments will be located next to the topic of discussion so that you can easily find them. Once comments are addressed, you can mark them as completed. However, you can revisit them as many times as you want; they won’t disappear. In this sense, you can also make the most of the Simple Markup tool, as it allows for keeping track and visualizing all the changes made in a document.
Microsoft Word 2013 15.0.4805.1003 Features
The unique features of Microsoft Word 2013 are:
- More comfortable on-screen reading with “Read Mode”
- New tools added for Table Borders
- Ability to view and keep track of document modifications with the “Simple Markup” tool
- Ability to insert (and watch) videos directly from the Net without exiting the program
- Expand and Collapse function
- Automatic files saving in SharePoint or SkyDrive free online platforms (this feature requires Internet connection)
- Inclusion of PDF editing capabilities and compatibility with OneDrive technology
- “Alignment Guides” to make lining up visual objects in your text document easier
- “Live Layout” gives a preview of the document as you move or resize elements, to show the final result
- “Present Online” by sharing a link to the document
- Ability to zoom in on the document when displayed in Read Mode with “Object Zoom”
- Inclusion of a “Reply” option for Comments
- “Resume Reading” allows you to pick up where you left off by bookmarking the last place you read
- Great range of formats support: DOCX, DOC, PDF, XPS, TXT, HTML, RTF, XML or ODT, amongst others
- Compatibility with additional Office applications such as PowerPoint, Excel spreadsheets and OpenOffice functionality suite
If you want to know more information about Microsoft Word 2013 before you download it, feel free to visit the
The minimum hardware requirements to correctly download and install this text processor in your computer are listed below:
- Operating System: Windows Server 2008 or later
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster x86 CPU
- RAM Memory: 1 GB (32-bit); 2GB (64-bit)
- Video Card: compatible with DirectX 10 and hardware acceleration
- HDD: 3 GB of free space available
- Windows Live ID and SharePoint Foundation 2013 accounts for coauthoring options